What is Bio-security?
Biosecurity is : procedures intended to protect humans or animals against disease or harmful biological agents.
Why practice Bio-security?
Disease - Have you ever heard of Avian flu? How about Caseous lymphadenitis? The list of communicable diseases in livestock is long and scary. Treatments can range from difficult and expensive to the destruction of entire flocks and herds. Additionally even after the complete culling of a flock and herds certain diseases and bacteria are able to live and thrive in soil for years after, which means the introduction of any new animals can put them at risk for contracting the disease. When choosing to own livestock, any reputable farmer will have and will implement biosecurity practices to protect the animals, public and his/her investment.
BuckleBerry Farm's Bio-security Practice and Management.
BuckleBerry Farm takes bio-security seriously. We have spent hundreds of hours researching and implementing the best bio-security measures to protect our animals and the public. Below you will find an overview of Bucklberry's bio-security practices and management.
- Buckleberry Farm is not open to the public. We do not offer farm tours and do not allow the general public access to our livestock enclosures.
- Quarantine- Any animals coming into BuckleBerry farm are selected from only the finest breeders that also implement bio-security policies. All new livestock coming into BuckleBerry Farm is quarantined for 45-60 days. During this time we are able to evaluate the overall health and condition of the animal and ensure their are no communicable diseases that can be spread to existing stock.
- BuckleBerry Farm works closely with our Veterinarian to ensure our Flocks and Herds are free of communicable diseases and if any animals show symptoms of illness that they receive the proper and appropriate care as advised by our veterinarian.
- BuckleBerry farm has exceptional standards when it comes to the cleanliness of coops and enclosures. We remove feces and clean enclosures DAILY. All animals are given fresh feed and water 2xs a day in clean dishes.. All feeders, waterers, buckets and bowls are washed and sanitized after use.
- All Animals have enclosures to protect from the elements as well as access to outside runs/ fields allowing lots of fresh air and the ability to practice natural behaviors specific to their species, thus helping to build a healthy and strong immune system.
- Diet is huge part of building strong immune systems to protect and prevent diseases. All of our livestock has access to all Natural pelleted feed specific to their species. Our goats have access to fresh hay and browse and our chickens are allowed to forage and are given access to fresh fruits and vegetables to supplements their diets. We raise All Natural livestock, as we believe that an animal thrives better in its natural environment.
- Wild Birds and Chickens- It is impossible to keep the wild birds away. The only bio-secure option to keep chickens and wild birds separated is to keep your chickens in fully enclosed buildings without access to the outside. Here at BuckleBerry that is not an option as we do not agree with raising chickens in that manner. We believe all the above listed practices help reduce the possibility of contracting a communicable disease from wild birds but it is not 100% safeguard.